01 March 2008

Takashi Murakami

"When I consider what Japanese culture is like, the answer is that it all is subculture. Therefore, art is unnecessary." - Takashi Murakami

I think he's great. You probably heard of him already. This look familiar?



He did Kanye's art for Graduation and the Can't Tell Me Nothing single cover.



He also did some work with LV.

I've always been facinated by japanese art and fashion.

I used to just wonder why they were so facinated with everything being child-like almost.

I was watching Art Safari on Ovation and they were with Murakami. Part of the interview they tried to talk about his 'Super flat' theory. That's kind of like his theory of the superficial but 'language barriers prevented them from going in depth about it'. Murakami said he doesn't know what superficial means.

I'm pretty sure they're pretty similar if not the same thing.

You should google him. He has some really great stuff...but I must warn you. Some of it is wayyyy...umm what's the word I'm looking for?

I'll just say interesting.

Specifically 'My Lonesome Cowboy'. Look it up.

I'm gonna post some of his stuff on a later date.

1 comment:

dendoo said...

i like this post and the post about what would make you fall in love. i'd go for mugen too.

as much as i try to understand the super flat theory it always seems to slip past me but i do know takashi murakami is out of this world. so jealous that he got to work for kanye.